The village of Plaistow is approximately 3.5 miles west of Loxwood a short distance along the road from Ifold. The origins of the name Plaistow may derive from the Saxon period, however the first record of “La Playestow” comes from the 13th century Court Rolls” a similar period to the records of the first settlers in Loxwood.
As with Loxwood, Plaistow was not mentioned in the Domesday Book and the area was either uncharted or settlements at that time were attributed to other nearby towns. The village has sixty-three Listed Buildings many of which date back to the medieval period.
Glassmaking, Industry and Shillinglee Park
Glass making was an important local industry between the 13th and the 15th centuries, the first site was at Wephurst Park, which is just south of Lakers Lodge and Headsfoldwood Farm on the Loxwood to Plaistow Road. Iron making used local ironstone and charcoal manufactured out of timber from the forests. There were substantial furnaces in the 16th century at Shillinglee, which is 3 miles west of Plaistow and Ebernoe which is 4 miles southeast.
In the 16th century Crouchlands Farm in the village was owned by Robert Strudwick, who came from a family of glass makers. Throughout the district, there are remains of smelters, furnaces and the many holding ponds which were needed for the smelting processes, the most important being at Shillinglee Park.
In the 19th century brick and tile making was an important local industry, driven by the Victorian building programmes. There were brickyards in Shillinglee Park and at Foxbridge, to the east of Plaistow on the Loxwood Road and at Pephurst Wood in Loxwood.
The main house and estate at Plaistow was at Shillinglee. Shillinglee Park was established by 1342 but in 1542 it passed to the Crown. Later, it formed part of the Arundel Estate, belonging to the Duke of Norfolk. In 1907, on the death of the 5th Earl Winterton the owner of Shillinglee, one of the stained-glass windows in the Church was provided for his memory. His wife Georgiana, who died six year later, was similarly commemorated by two further windows and a stone memorial.
Shillinglee was occupied by Canadian troops during World War II but in 1943 a fire swept through the house leaving it in a perilous state. After lying empty for many years, it was restored between 1976 and 1977 and converted into one House and three flats.Read More...