In May 1910, George became king amid a constitutional crisis over the government’s attempt to curb the power of the House of Lords. After the Liberal government obtained the king’s promise to create sufficient peers to overcome Conservative opposition in the Lords (and won a second election in 1910), the Parliament Bill was passed by the Lords in 1911 without a mass creation of peers. 1911 also saw George’s visit to India, the only king-emperor to make the journey.
Public respect for the king increased during World War One, when he made many visits to the front line, hospitals, factories and dockyards. In 1917 anti-German feeling led him to adopt the family name of Windsor, replacing the Germanic Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.
After the overthrow of the Russian Tsar in 1917, the post-war world saw the toppling of monarchies all over Europe, many of them related to the British royal family. The king’s relationship with parts of the British Empire changed too. The 1916 Easter Rising in Dublin and subsequent civil war resulted in the setting up of the Irish Free State in 1922, which became a dominion, while the six northern counties remained part of the United Kingdom. The Statute of Westminster of 1931 meant dominion parliaments could now pass laws without reference to United Kingdom laws. This paradoxically increased the monarchy’s importance, since the dominions (no longer subordinated to one supreme parliament at Westminster) were now linked through common allegiance to the crown. India gained a measure of self-governance in 1935.
In 1924, George readily accepted the first Labour government. In 1931 the international economic slump caused a political crisis in Britain. The king promoted the idea of a ‘national coalition’ government of Labour, Conservatives and Liberals, which was eventually formed.
In 1935, the king celebrated his Silver Jubilee, an occasion of great public rejoicing. He died on 20 January 1936 and was succeeded by his son Edward.
Loxwood’s chapel endowments
In 1916 the Trustees of the Loxwood chapel sold the chapel properties in six Lots.
Lot 1 Pond Field and the Pond was sold to Aylward & Co for £125 (also known as Cokkes field).
Lot 2 Mr E Wannop (Littlehampton Solicitor) The Caddicks £100 (originally Callets Haw).
Lot 3 Mr E Wannop (Littlehampton Solicitor) Gravel Pit Field £85 (know as Gravel Pit Field near Rudgwick).
Lot 4 Chapel Field was unsold (known as Stevensfield).
Lot 5 Two cottages adjoining Pond Field was sold to Aylward & Co for £250.
Lot 6 Chapel Cottage and the site of the former church £125 was sold to Tom Wells of Alfold who was a woodman.
World War 1
It has been said that no English village was left untouched by WW1 and Loxwood was no exception. The local people who lost their lives in the war are remembered on the ‘Roll of Honour’ War Memorial inside the Church which was unveiled in 1921 and the book “Loxwood Remembered” provides a poignant account of their sacrifice.
Following the end of the war, the servicemen who returned to the village formed a Comrades Club and they used an ex-army hut opposite the church for their meetings. That building was named the ‘Memorial Hut’ and from 1923 it was the centre of village events, and entertainment. That was the first time the village had a large hall for live events and those years helped to forge a stronger community which also strengthened the identity of the village.
Other key moments
The telephone service arrived in the 1920’s, with a village phone box located outside the post office. A regular bus service started in the 1930’s which was established by Fred Kilner and he rented a garage for his busses on the cole yard which was run by William Cole!
George IV died on 6 May and was succeeded by his son who became George V.
George V visited India as the only King-Emperor to do so.
The White Liner Titanic hit an iceberg and sank on its maiden voyage from Southampton to New York with the loss of more than 1500 lives.
The Ordinance Survey Maps show that Loxwood Stores and Post Office had been extended with the addition of a house to the right hand side.
Suffragette Emily Davidson was killed after throwing herself in front of the King’s horse at the Derby.
The First World War.
29th December – Loxwood Chapel Trustees Meeting at Reading Rooms in Loxwood. The Chairman was Maurice Botting. Offer from an unnamed source was discussed of £200 for Chapel Cottage and the site of the old church. Offer not proceeded with as shown in the Loxwood Chapel minute Book.
20th August Monday – Loxwood Chapel Trustees Meeting Maurice Botting was Chairman. The Trustees considered anoffer for £600 for whole (all) of chapel properties. The Trustees decided to offer all properties by Tender in 6 Lots.
19th November – Loxwood Chapel Trustees meeting at Hill Side Cottage in Alfold, the home of Chairman Maurice Botting. Letter from Churchmans Auctioneers response on properties was read and considered.
1st February – Maurice Botting sadly died.
6th March – Loxwood Chapel Trustees meeting at Vicarage Hill. Present: Corrall Farmer (Chairman) of Little Headsfoldwood, Dr Heygate (Frederick Nicholas of Petworth Union Vicarage Hill Poor Law) Mr Pace (Percy of Hall House artist). The consent of Charity Commissioners having been obtained, Proposed by Dr Heygate Seconded by Mr Pace agreed to accept offeros for the Chapel Properties.
13th June – Meeting at Hillside, Alfold home of Maurice Botting. Offer received for Lot 6 Chapel Cottage and the former site of the old church £125 recommended to be accepted. Maurice Botting had died on February 1st. Minutes of previous meeting signed Letter of condolence was drafted and sent to Mrs Botting.
14th June – Thomas Wells & Catherine Wells become new owners of Church Cottage.
19th June – William James Wells joins 27th (reserve) Battalion Royal Fusiliers.
5th July – Meeting of Loxwood Chapel Trustees at Vicarage Hill 3pm. Agreed to invest proceeds of the sale of the Chapel properties in Indian stock at 2 ½% (Loxwood End Chapel Trust mentioned in 1939 minutes).
29th September – Meeting of Loxwood Chapel Trustees at Vicarage Hill. Offer received of 5 shillings per annum for Chapel Field from Mrs Dunlop (David Dunlop dairy farmer Brewhurst). Decided to accept with the condition that the vicar can refuse the offer.
9th December – Meeting Loxwood Chapel Trustees. Offer from Mr W Cole for Chapel Field of 15 shillings per annum accepted.
15th October Catherine Wells died. William Wells Clara Wells married living in Church Cottage with father Thomas Wells.
Loxwood War Memorial unveiled on Psalm Sunday.
22nd November – Meeting Loxwood Chapel Trustees Vicarage Hill 3 pm. Rent for Chapel Field paid from L L Constable endowments 1920. Payable by Mr Scott for 1921 and 1922.
12th December 3pm Vicarage Hill Loxwood Chapel Trustees. Discussion regarding letting site of the old Church. Decided to write to the Church Commissioners for their view.
18th December Vicarage Hill. Bishops of Chichester letter read out that confirmed the Loxwood Trustees had no authority to let out the site of the old Church.
The Memorial Hut was constructed opposite the churchyard and became the first Village Hall.
7th June Offer received from Mr Nelson £30 for Chapel Field. Currently Rented by My Cole for 15 shillings per annum.
Scottish inventor and engineer John Logie Baird gave the first public demonstration of television
The Wall Street Crash in America sparked the Great Depression
Kilner Coaches started operating a bus service from a yard in Loxwood.
King George V celebrated his Silver Jubilee, an occasion of great public rejoicing. In Loxwood there was a village celebration and a Holm Oak tree was planted in the centre of the village to mark the occasion. The tree was planted by Cordelia Molineux Smallpiece of Merryhills.
Loxwood Telephone Exchange was built around this time and updated to an automatic exchange in 1939
George V died on 20 January and was succeeded by his son Edward.