1509 – 1547 Henry VIII – Loxwood in the Tudor period


Henry succeeded to the throne after his older brother Arthur died in 1502. Henry built a navy and made England stronger and more important in Europe.

There was religious and political upheaval, caused by the English Reformation when in 1527 the Pope refused to grant Henry VIII an annulment from his first marriage. Initially England’s new religious doctrines didn’t greatly differ. In order to achieve his extensive religious reforms Henry allowed Parliament to pass statutes which gave it unprecedented power and Parliament’s relationship was vital because Henry could not have achieved his ambitions without the changes he made to the powers of Parliament. Henry VIII transformed the role Parliament played in governing England. Henry is sometimes referred to as the Father of the Royal Navy, because he only inherited 15 vessels when he came to the throne but by 1540 had 45 warships and he also built the first naval dock at Portsmouth.




Henry VII died on 21 April and his 17-year-old son Henry succeeded him as King Henry VIII.

Spy Farm was constructed around this time

Box Cottage & Ryley Cottage were constructed as farm cottages around this time.

Fletchings was constructed near Brewhurst around this time. 

Pancake Cottage was built on the ridge, at the end of Pancake Lane (now Station Road). Nep Lane was a cart track near Pancake Cottage and that linked into the Rudgwick.


Martin Luther sent his 95 Theses to the Archbishop of Mainz, which marked the Start of the Protestant Reformation:

1500 – 1600 Spanish and English explorers brought back new world foods, including tomatoes, potatoes, corn (Maize), squash and cacao.


The Will of William Phylippe of the Mill in “the Parish of Green” who died 23rd January mentions a mill. It is assumed William Phylippe was the Miller at Brewhurst and if the Mill had been operating for around  50 years, that indicates it was in operation in the 15th century, and probably much earlier.

The Will of George Cowyke bequeathed to the Chapel of Loxwood his house and land at Baldwynes, which may have been a building that was subsequently moved in 1568, and is now known as Willetts. 

In 1520 there is a record of a Chapel of Ease at Plaistow, which was linked to Kirdford Church and dedicated to St Thomas. A painting of 1808 shows the chapel had similarities to Loxwood Chapel of Ease.


Ferdinand Magellan’s expedition was the First to Circumnavigates the Globe.


Henry VIII divorced Catherine of Aragon and married Anne Boleyn. Archbishop of Canterbury Thomas Cranmer annulled Henry VIII’s marriage to Catherine of Aragon and validated Henry’s marriage to Anne Boleyn.


The Church of England broke from Roman Catholic and King Henry VIII made himself the head of the Church of England.


King Henry VIII took the wealth and power from English Catholic monasteries and destroyed many catholic artefacts.


According to 19th century historian James Dallaway, Loxwood Chapel of Ease was improved and endowed with land and property in 1540, which was financed by three Sisters.

Dendrochronology has confirmed that the ceilings in the curates cottage were inserted in the central and eastern bay’s around 1540, indicating that improvements were being made at the chapel and cottage as James Dallaway stated.

Polish Scientist Nicolaus Copernicus’s showed that the movement of Heavenly Bodies was best explained by a Heliocentric Model (That Is, the Earth Revolves Around the Sun, and not the other way around).

A Land transaction in 1540 mentioned Loxwood Chapel of Ease was dedicated to St John the Baptist and also mentioned the Chaplains orchard.


A land transaction confirms that land near the Chapel of Ease was rented to the chapel trustees which may be the land where Willetts now stands.

The curate of Loxwood chapel of ease in 1544 was John Dymock. – J C Buckwell


On January 28, Henry VIII died and his son Edward succeeded to the throne at the age of nine.

error: Content is protected !!