1399 – 1413 Henry IV and medieval Loxwood

Introduction

Henry IV, also called the Earl of Derby, the Duke of Hereford or Henry of Lancaster, came to the throne by force, by making his cousin Richard II abdicate. That started a dispute between the House of Lancaster and the House of York which would mark a long period of conflicts for control of the English throne which became known as the Wars of the Roses.

The Catholic Church in medieval England was powerful and wealthy. Almost everyone believed in God, and believed that the Pope in Rome had been given authority by God. Everyone was expected to go to church and in Loxwood the villagers had to travel to the parish church at Wisborough Green each week, because there wasn’t a chapel in the village. The journey was difficult across marshy land and through dense woodland and consequently people did not settle in the area. In medieval England a Lord of the Manor controlled the land and farmers rented strips of land from the Lord to produce food to feed their families. in 1404 eight prominent landowners together with the Vicar of Wisborough Green petitioned the Bishop of Chichester for permission to build a place of worship in Loxwood, to encourage people to settle and in turn rent land from the landowners.

Read More...

Timeline

1399

30th September Parliament officially nominated Henry Bolingbroke The Earl of Derby as the successor  to Richard II who was made to resign.

October 13th was the Coronation of Henry IV in Westminster Abbey.

Robert Reade had become the Bishop of Chichester at the bequest of King Richard II. “Durynegewyk” was a favourite rural residence of Robert Reade and during his time ordinations, collations, admissions, exchanges and other ecclesiastical business took place at Drungewick.

1400

The Welsh leader Owain Glyn Dwr declared himself the Prince of Wales.

In this year Richard II died in Pontefract Castle, Yorkshire.

1404

Eight prominent landowners of Wisborough Green Parish (Petitioners) The Vicar of Wisborough Green Walter Whitchurch, Richard Threele, Phillip Neldred, Thomas Pally, John Schudd, Nicholas Nicholl, John Oakhurst, William Atthall, Richard Napper and other Parishioners of the parish of Wisborough Green, requested permission from Bishop Robert Reade to build a place of worship in Loxwood.

In the Winter of 1404 Church Cottage built as the first place of worship in Loxwood. Used as an Oratory and it had the accommodation for the curate attached at the western end.

1406

The ‘Long Parliament’ haggled with Henry IV of England over state finances which Henry required to fund his battles.

1413

Henry IV died on March 20th and was succeeded by his son Henry.

error: Content is protected !!