9

The Memorial Hut

KEY POINTS

  • The picture was taken in c1933 and is the only known image of The Memorial Hut. The Victorian Schoolhouse is in the background.
  • After WW1 former Army Huts started to be used as meeting places and village halls throughout the Country.
  • The Memorial Hut was constructed in 1923 and became the Village Hall.
  • The Memorial Hut was the home of The Comrades Club which had been formed in 1921.
  • The site chosen for The Memorial Hut was poignantly chosen opposite the churchyard.
  • On the opening night two hundred people enjoyed a musical and comedy event.
  • The hut was used by Loxwood Football Club, The Women’s Institute, the Parish Council and for many other events.
  • The Memorial Hut was the centre of village entertainment and meetings for fifteen years, it was removed in 1938 with the opening of North Hall.

TIMELINE

George V 1910 – 1936 (House of Windsor).

Memorial Hut with Victorian School in the background c1933
error: Content is protected !!