5

Reading Room & Mellow

KEY POINTS

  • The postcard is from 1904 and shows “Reading Room” with Georgian bay windows, central door and a small window facing the road.
  • “Finches” is the house on the left and the butchers shop of Mr Sopp is the brick building on the right facing the road, which is an ancient building possibly dating to the 18th century.
  • Reading Room was built in 1897 as the first village meeting place and library.
  • The plot of land for Reading Room was donated by John Elliott the owner of Hilltop Stores.
  • Mellow (behind Reading Room) was constructed in c1820.
  • In the 1800’s Mellow was owned by James and Sarah Puttock, the owners of “Shop House”
  • Mr Sopp’s son Harry, was a photographer who ran his business from a building across the road from Mellow.
  • In the 1960’s the butchers business was aquired from the Sopp family and moved to the parade of shops in the village centre.
  • A gallery picture shows Reading Room in September 1957 without its windows or door. Reading Room was sold in 1965 to the owners of Mellow and it was rebuilt as part of that house.

TIMELINE

Reading Room:  Queen Victoria 1837 – 1901 (The Hanoverians).
Mellow: George IV 1820 – 1830 (The Hanoverians).

Reading Room was built in 1897, pictured here in 1904 and was the first village meeting place
error: Content is protected !!