Pond Cottage is on the left of this picture from c1939. The sign at the front shows “Burnleigh Guest House” and Annie Kennard may have been the person in the doorway. The local dairy on Station Road was at Orchard House (now Farm Cottage) and the dairy farmer was Herbert Field.
Originally a house was towards the back of the pond, known as “Pond Tree House”.
Pond Tree House was probably constructed in the 14th or 15th century.
The land and the house were endowed to Loxwood Chapel of Ease.
1 & 2 Pond Cottage were constructed in the Victorian era c1848 after Pond Tree House was demolished.
Some of the materials from Pond Tree House may have been used to build Pond Cottage.
The land was once known as Cokes Field which gave its name to the Cokelers, or Dependant Brethren, led by John Sirgood.
Pond Cottage operated as the Burnleigh Guest House from the early 20th century and in 1939 the guest house provided refuge to WW2 evacuees.