Old Telephone Exchange


  • This is a modern image showing the Old Telephone Exchange on the Guildford Road which was built in the 1930’s and upgraded to an automatic exchange in 1939.
  • Postcards and letters were the main methods of distant communication in the 19th century.
  • The first telephone exchange in Sussex was introduced at Brighton in 1903.
  • The Mayor of Brighton at the time was John Charles Buckwell author of The Stories of Loxwood.
  • In 1924 the telephone service had reached Loxwood.
  • The first manual Telephone Exchange was operated from the village shop. Around c1927 a “Type K1” telephone box was outside the shop, the first in the village.
  • Some of the earliest numbers were The Post Office Loxwood 1, Ifold House Loxwood 2, Aylward & Smith Loxwood 3, Hilltop Stores Loxwood 4.


George VI 1936 – 1952 (House of Windsor).

Old Telephone Exchange 1939
error: Content is protected !!