8

North Hall

KEY POINTS

  • The picture shows North Hall in 1937.
  • Reading Room was the first village meeting place and Library, and that was built near Hilltop Stores in 1897.
  • The Memorial Hut was a larger village hall built in 1923 opposite the church.
  • In 1936 the question of Loxwood becoming a separate Parish was being considered by West Sussex County Council.
  • A Site for the new village hall was generously given to the village in 1937 by Mr Mark Frederick North of Loxwood House.
  • The Foundation Stone was laid by the daughter of Mark North, Miss Joyce (Joy) North on April 3rd. North Hall took only six weeks to build and was officially opened on May 12th 1937.
  • The building was connected to water and electricity in 1938 and may have been one of the first buildings to have the use of the new services.
  • The hall became home to Loxwood Parish Council, village clubs and is used for social events.

TIMELINE

George VI 1910 – 1936 (House of Windsor).

North Hall, Loxwood 1939
error: Content is protected !!