17

Loxwood Stores & Post Office

KEY POINTS

  • The picture of the shop and pond was taken in 1909. George Weller the shopkeeper is in the doorway and the person to the right may have been his daughter Ellen, who managed the Post office.
  • The village shop may have originally been built in the 18th century as a workshop for Hall House which is nextdoor.
  • In 1851 the shop was listed as a tailors and by 1878 the shop was known as a drapers.
  • The owner of the drapers was Mary Foster and she also ran a grocers shop at Black Hall.
  • The success of the drapers may have been the inspiration for the village shops the Combination Stores.
  • In 1901 the shop had become a Saddlers.
  • The house extension to the right of the shop was built between 1906 & 1910.
  • The telephone service arrived in c1924 and the telephone exchange was operated from the shop. The first village telephone box was a “Type K1” which was located next to the front door by c1927.

TIMELINE

George III 1760 – 1820 (The Hanoverians).

Loxwood Stores and Post Office next to Hall House 1909

GALLERY

error: Content is protected !!