The picture taken of the front of Linden House in 1907 is the first known image.
In the 17th century the land around this area was described as Penlands and a cottage stood in this location, which was possibly built in the 15th or 16th century.
The cottage was removed around c1840 and a brick and tile house was built with a Blacksmith shop attached. The original house is believed to be the central section as seen today and the Smithy was a small building on the left.
In 1876 the property was advertised for sale and by 1881 the house had been acquired by George Goodwin a retired property developer and it was called “Penlands”.
When the house was sold six years later it had been significantly extended on both sides and the back and renamed “Linden House”.
The house was purchased by Landscape Artist Corral Farmer and his wife Elizabeth and the Farmer family owned the property for around 70 years and often referred to the house as “Penlands” on official documents.
Linden House became a boys boarding school between c1907 – c1911.