The picture taken in c1965 shows Jubilee Villas on the left-hand side and Hall Hurst Farm on the right. The Combination Stores is in the background with the garage next door selling the ‘National’ fuel brand.
Jubilee Villas are two semi-detached Victorian cottages.
Constructed around 1895 by the Dependant Brethren.
Jubilee Villas were built at a similar time to a significant enlarging of the Combination Stores.
Initially named Jubilee Cottages they were renamed to celebrate Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee in June 1897.
Both properties had outbuildings which were possibly used by older members of the Brethren to make products that were sold in the Combination Stores.
The local Coal merchant “William Cole” was living at Jubilee Villas in 1911.
At the start of the 20th century the Dependant Brethren managed the majority of the shops in the centre of the village.