16

Hall House

KEY POINTS

  • The picture taken in 1909 shows Hall House on the right with the shopkeeper George Weller on the steps of the Post Office.
  • This property was believed to have been constructed as a ‘Hall House’ in c1670 or earlier.
  • The house may have had a fire in the centre of the building and there would have been smoke windows, which possibly indicated an earlier construction.
  • Also known as Hall Hurst Farm of circa 10 acres.
  • The ancient drove road ran along the back of Hall House, so the current front was originally the back and the farmland may have included the pond.
  • Listed as a pub in 1796 known as “Drovers Arms” or “Cattle Drovers Arms” and was thought to have been the oldest in the parish at that time.
  • The pub closed in the early-1800’s after the Onslow Arms Inn opened by the canal.
  • The Dependant Brethren lived at Hall House.

TIMELINE

Charles II 1660 – 1685 (The Restoration).

Hall House the former Drovers Arms pub nextdoor to the village shop
error: Content is protected !!