14

Brewhurst House

KEY POINTS

  • The picture of Brewhurst House was taken in 1909, with its distinctive Horsham Stone roof and front porch, showing through the ivy that covered the walls.
  • This area is thought to have been part of the early settlements dating to the first records of c1248.
  • English Heritage lists Brewhurst House as Grade II built in the 17th century or earlier.
  • In the early 19th century Brewhurst Estate was owned by Anne Seward and Edward Napper who also owned Ifold Manor.
  • Brewhurst Farm was leased by Henry Botting in the 19th Century and subsequently the Bottings acquired the farm. The Bottings were connected to Brewhurst Farm and Brewhurst Mill for over 100 years.
  • The house was home to the Riley-Smith family from the 1950’s – 1984. They had a racing stud at Brewhurst and were originally from Tadcaster, the owners of the John Smith Brewery.
  • Elspeth Riley-Smith donated stained-glass windows to Loxwood church in memory of her parents and husband.
  • Bridge House at the end of the lane is thought to have been built in the c1950s.

TIMELINE

Edward IV 1461 – 1483 (House of York).

Brewhurst House, Loxwood 1909
error: Content is protected !!