7

Arun Cottages, Penfold House, Canal Villa, Wharf Building

KEY POINTS

  • The picture from 1909 shows the Wharf Building on the left, Canal Villa on the right with Penfold behind.
  • The sign on the building reads “George Standen Bootmaker”.
  • The fence line of Garton House is in the background with the door of the listed barn facing the road.
  • Penfold House was built in c1830 or earlier and named after a former owner, Elija Penfold.
  • Arun Cottages and Canal Villa were constructed in 1904.
  • The Wharf Building was constructed in 1903, to replace a wooden barn which burn down.
  • Material from the demolition of the Georgian Chapel was used to build the Wharf Building including the windows which are seen in the picture.
  • When these houses were built the view to the church across the fields and river was spectacular, but trees now obscure the view.

TIMELINE

Edward VII 1901 – 1910 (House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha).

Wharf Building, Arun Cottages, Penfold House, Canal Villa 1909
error: Content is protected !!