This area of the village has some of the oldest historic properties and developed as a small ‘High Street’ during the Victorian era, with a range of shops and a community meeting place.
Alamdea is timber framed cottage believed to have been built around c1620, a similar timeframe for when Willetts, Cherry Villa and Garton House were constructed, also along this road. Alameda is reputed to have been an Inn during its early days although that has not been confirmed by documentary evidence.
The rectangular building to the right of Alameda was Hilltop Stores, possibly constructed around c1830 or earlier. Hilltop Stores was owned by John and Elizabeth Botting in 1851 and John Parsons in 1871, he was 73 and opened the first Post Office at Hilltop Stores. The census of 1881 shows that John Elliott then owned Hilltop Stores having served an apprenticeship at a Grocers Shop in the High Street of Great Bookham, before moving to Loxwood.
John Elliott was born in Plaistow in 1851. His father Thomas Elliott was a farmer at Love Farm Wisborough Green, a business partner with John Hemmings the District Auctioneer and in 1812 a Trustee of Loxwood Chapel. Thomas Elliott owned land and property and his skill as a ‘property dealer’ was passed on to his son John.
In 1891 at an auction held by John Hemmings at The Kings Head Hotel, Wisborough Green John Elliott acquired a number of properties in Loxwood namely: A detached residence, three cottages nearby and a Harness Makers shop, the total cost was £450. Those properties were Cherry Villa, 1,2,3 Box Cottages and Finches (The Harness Makers Shop), which are the neighbouring properties to Hilltop Stores.
At the same auction, Maurice Botting, the Miller at Brewhurst Mill, acquired a Butchers Shop and a detached house on the right hand side of Finches, which is now named Mellow.
Next to Hilltop Stores is Cherry Cottage. The 1881 census shows that William Wooldridge was a Shoemaker at this cottage and it is assumed John Elliott built the property when he first acquired Hilltop Stores c1875, replacing a former workshop building that is shown on the earlier maps.
Cherry Villa is the next property, which was built in c1625, at a similar time to Alameda. The 1881 census shows William Tickner lived at this house, his trade was a Lath Render, an occupation of working with wood used in ceilings or trellis work especially on oak framed buildings.
John Elliott and Maurice Botting controlled all the shops and cottages in this short run; The Grocer, Post Office, Shoemaker, Lathe Maker, Butcher, and the Harness Makers Shop and they also built the first village meeting place along the road, so this area became the centre of the community by the end of the 19th century. John Elliott retired to Cranleigh after the first World War and died in 1937 aged 88.
In 1921 Hill Top Sores was run by John and Mary Harris and with the arrival of the telephone service in 1924 the stores was one of the first to adopt the new system with the number Loxwood 4.
In 1944 Mary Harris sold the shop to Alyward & Smith because she had struggled to operate the business through the Second World War. Alyward & Smith finally had control of the local competitor and in 1945/46 they added rooms above the shop.
Box Cottage Ryley Cottage Finches
Mellow Reading Room